[LRUG] [JOBS] AOL are looking for a permanent senior rails dev

Strudwick, Stephen stephen.strudwick at teamaol.com
Wed Nov 21 08:29:34 PST 2012

Hi everyone,

It must be the 3rd or 4th time I've posted here looking for developers and every time I've had a great response with quality cv's, so thanks LRUG ! I have to admit I don't get to many meet ups now days but back when the group first formed I was fairly regular :)

Well we are finally looking for perm staff instead of contractors, we have a really great package and I'll make sure you have a sensible environment to work in with sometimes Scrum, sometimes Kanban, always agile and always the best and most sensible tools for the job.

The team is very small but growing, the projects are big in scope and impact (but never longer than 3 months as a firm rule). We work very closely with the US business and the UK office is unusually leading technology in many areas (unusual for big US based companies anyway).

The full official job description is below, if you're interested just send me an email with your cv to:

  Stephen.strudwick at teamaol.com<mailto:Stephen.strudwick at teamaol.com>

Thanks

Stephen Strudwick
Principal Software Engineer, Software Engineering | AOL Europe
[AOL_Brush_Orange]
[stephen-cartoon]

Job Title:                 Senior Ruby on Rails Software Engineer
Reporting into:        Principal Software Engineer, Advertiser Systems Engineering
Contract Type:        Permanent
Location:                 WC1E 6JA - Capper Street, London
Salary:                     Competitive + bonus + great benefits

Company Description
AOL (UK) Limited is a subsidiary of AOL Inc. (NYSE: AOL), a premier global media company with a suite of brands and products serving consumers, advertisers and publishers worldwide.   AOL Media is a leading source of news, opinion, entertainment, community and digital information comprising a wide range of websites, including AOL.co.uk, MyDaily, The Huffington Post UK, Parentdish, Eleven, TechCrunch and Engadget.

The AOL Advertising.com Group includes Advertising.com, ADTECH, Pictela, AOL Video (inclusive of goviral and 5min Media), Content Solutions and Sponsored Listings and serves a combined content and advertising market at scale through video, brand advertising, content and ad serving.

AOL is focused on engaging consumers and providing online advertising services and solutions on both AOL Media destination websites and third party websites, in addition to serving consumer platforms including AOL Mail, AIM, and about.me.

Overview
Working as part of a small agile team, an experienced Ruby on Rails developer is required to help maintain and deliver new internal applications to the UK, European and North American business; you can expect:

*         To be working with Rails 3.2, Rspec and Cucumber

*         Exposure to MongoDB and Node.JS

*         To see a lot of JQuery and Coffeescript

*         To be building new applications and help lead and shape development

*         Helping re-engineer and continuously improve existing applications

*         Trying new technology and be encouraged to experiment and innovate

*         Be challenged to build great user experiences

*         To grapple with business logic and help solve business needs

The candidate will be well versed in objected oriented design (OOD/OOP) and the software design lifecycle. Additionally, the individual should be comfortable with complex SQL and Test Driven Development.

Key Responsibilities
The successful candidate will:

*         Work inside a small scrum team with a well described and groomed product backlog and be comfortable with scrum methodologies and practises

*         Troubleshoot and resolve issues with current products & tools in a timely fashion when required

*         Communicate effectively in both verbal (day-to-day discussions, team meetings) and written forms (requirements and design specifications) with local and remote team members

*         Actively manage and own feature development beyond design & implementation by providing sound consultation and feedback to Product Stakeholders, QA and operations.

Skills Required

*         Excellent Ruby on Rails skills with good knowledge of the underlying framework

*         A passion for writing elegant code and a desire to constantly re-factor and improve

*         Demonstrable experience of delivering products/tools from concept through deployment and ongoing user support.

*         Strong SQL experience

*         Strong written and verbal communication

*         Ability to follow sprint/project plans and meet commitments

*         Display a history of creativity, innovative thought, awareness of current technical trends and high levels of motivation

*         Excellent ability to understand and express complex technical topics

*         Hands on experience with GIT

*         Strong Linux knowledge

Desirable skills

*         Some demonstrable experience with other languages and frameworks such as Node.JS or Erlang

*         Experience with Big Data and NoSQL solutions

*         Contributions to open source code or projects

Qualifications and Experience

*         3+ years experience  with Ruby on Rails

*         5+ years of commercial software development

*         Degree or equivalent qualification in a relevant subject