[LRUG] Recommendations for Ruby & Rails optimisation resources

Jonathon Horsman jonathon at arctickiwi.com
Fri Nov 23 04:14:43 PST 2012

Hi

I need to improve the performance of a particular Rails action.

I'm using fragment caching which is helping a lot, but the initial cache
generation is still in the order of 5 seconds.

So I'm looking into the garbage collector, this article provided some hints
but no suggestions:
http://merbist.com/2010/07/29/object-allocation-why-you-should-care/

e.g. how do I reduce the amount of object allocation in Rails? Should I be
using the select() method in ActiveRecord to reduce initialized fields?
Is it better to use select_all and work directly with hashes?

Is HAML markedly slower than ERB? The view generation seems to take the
majority of time.

I'd really appreciate any tips or links to articles.

Many thanks

--
Jonathon Horsman
Director