[LRUG] Which JavaScript framework?

Tom Taylor tom at tomtaylor.co.uk
Tue Nov 27 04:20:30 PST 2012

We're working on a large(ish) project with a heavy Backbone.js frontend on a Rails backend.

We chose Backbone primarily because we wanted something to provide us with enough structure for a complex app, but without having to bend and shape our project too heavily around it.

We liked that we could read the entire 30KB of well commented source code, and there wasn't too much magic going on in there. It's normal JS, written by people who write sensible, readable, clear code. We've often picked through the source code to make sure we've understood something, and its clarity has proved to be very valuable.

The other frameworks look interesting and clever in lots of different ways, but until the community coalesces around one of them, Backbone does the trick, and we're very happy with it.