[LRUG] Which JavaScript framework?

David Burrows david at designsuperbuild.com
Tue Nov 27 04:33:13 PST 2012

There's a big difference between full fat frameworks like Angular/Ember
(think Rails) and more lightweight libraries like Backbone (think Sinatra).
TodoMVC is a great resource, probably a good idea to browse the code of
these examples first to get a feel for the various options -
http://addyosmani.github.com/todomvc/

If I was starting from scratch I'd probably look at Backbone first as it's
small enough to get your head round in a few days and the most popular
right now. Addy Osmani (who set up TodoMVC) has a free book that's a pretty
good overview (pdf here
https://github.com/addyosmani/backbone-fundamentals/blob/gh-pages/backbone-fundamentals.pdf?raw=true).
I'd definitely play around with it without Rails initially then move on to
Rails integration, there's plenty of info around on blogs etc. - there's
even a Thoughtbot book (
https://learn.thoughtbot.com/products/1-backbone-js-on-rails) though I
haven't read it.

If you want a more feature filled framework then it's probably a toss up
between Ember and Angular, they're both good. Ember is better from a
Rails integration point of view, not suprising as Yehuda Katz is behind
it. Angular is getting some traction and may be more language agnostic if
that's an issue.

The main problem is that this whole space is still a pretty new, there's
several design approaches and it's going to be a few more years before
there's a clear winner.

p.s. I've found Yeoman (http://yeoman.io/) really useful for setting up js
frameworks, well worth a look

--