[LRUG] Who are those super short-term contractors?

toby privett tobyprivett at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 06:55:04 PST 2012

I sometimes do short jobs that usually involve finishing up an outstanding
piece of work. As a freelance who enjoys working in small chunks for a
variety of clients, this can be a good way of getting more work down the
line.

Before taking on the work, though, I'll always ask to see the code. Alarm
bells will ring if there are no tests or the code is complex and hard to
follow.

An important point, for me, is why the client needs the work done. I'd be
keen to know why the previous developer is no longer available.

If there is a fairly standard rails stack and it's hosted on heroku, for
example, setting up an environment need not take long. For 2-3 weeks work I
think it's fine to spend a day or two getting up to speed.

Btw, I have a couple of weeks free if anyone has any short-term / remote
jobs that need doing?