[LRUG] Recommendations for Ruby & Rails optimisation resources

Tom Stuart tom at experthuman.com
Fri Nov 23 04:45:00 PST 2012

On 23 Nov 2012, at 12:14, Jonathon Horsman wrote:
> I need to improve the performance of a particular Rails action.

Kind of a lowbrow suggestion, but have you tried tweaking the GC parameters? If you're using REE or Ruby 1.9.3, you can set environment variables which influence how often the GC runs, which can dramatically improve performance at the expense of using more memory.

It's been a while since I fiddled with it, but AFAIK Evan Weaver was the first to blog about it at http://blog.evanweaver.com/2009/04/09/ruby-gc-tuning/, and at the time it was by far the simplest way to wring more performance out of allocation-heavy code.

http://www.rubyenterpriseedition.com/documentation.html#_garbage_collector_performance_tuning has some (stale?) information and example settings too.

Cheers,
-Tom