[LRUG] Testing Editors

Stephen Nelson-Smith sanelson at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 23:38:41 PST 2012

Suppose one wanted to write a test which verified how a piece of
interactive software behaved - ie how it responded to keyboard input.
Pretty trivial, right?  I've used PTY and also greenletters before for
basic 'expect'-like tests.

However, I'm thinking more along the lines of testing customisations
or minor/major modes for Emacs or Vimscripts, or indeed custom config
for any interactive tool.  They don't need to be hugely sophisticated
tests, but something that at least verifies that the code under test
doesn't generate an error, or that it does one simple, indicative
feature would be handy.

Has anyone been mad enough to try this before?  Any ideas?

S.