[LRUG] Who are those super short-term contractors?

Priit Tamboom priit at gitlab.eu
Tue Nov 20 05:39:39 PST 2012

Hi,

About super-short-term contracting[1], I haven't solved a puzzle about
clients who are looking for super short-term, say 2-3 weeks custom
development contractors. I mean seriously?

Usually our team politely ignore those requests but occasionally we still
stumble up here and there.

Therefore I wonder who are those contractors who are willing to jump into a
domain and hack there only for few weeks or even few days? It looks
immensely wasteful for a developer to set up a new environment, learn all
the project specific requirements, new work-flow tweaks, new people and new
goals. Just for a few weeks, can't be productive!

Do I missing the point? Are those short-term fanfare just for testing
waters for both sides in order to commit into long term relation later on?

Puzzled,

Kind Regards,
Priit

[1] For background, our team mostly operates in Nord Europe region and we
have requirement for at least 6 month contract before we decide invest into
client and their goals seriously. So far this has yield best outcome for
both sides.