[LRUG] Which JavaScript framework?

Riccardo Tacconi rtacconi at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 04:00:15 PST 2012

Hi,

I decided to learn a JavaScript MVC framework to update my Rails
development skills. Many projects are using Rails to provide a RESTful API
and a MVC JS framework to do the rest. Although I do not like much to use
Rails as an API framework and a JS framework to develop the UI, I think
just using jQuery in the traditional way it is not enough, not anymore.
What I am saying is not new, but the problem is that we already have many
JS frameworks. Backbone.js was probably the first one, but now we have
Ember.js, Spine.js and Angular.js. I am sure there are more.

My question is: which one to choose? Which one is the most
popular? Angular.js makes sense to me, it seems quite simple and complete,
Backbone.js seems to me a bit 'exotic', different from what I am used to.
The simplest solution would be to use the Meteor framework, which makes
easy to write an app using Javascript client and server side as they were
just one thing... but I still love Ruby, at least for the backend.

Since I am looking for a new job, I fear I will learn Angular.js and then
an employer will ask me Backbone.js.

What do you think?

--
Riccardo Tacconi
Ruby on Rails and PHP development - System Administration

http://github.com/rtacconi
http://riccardotacconi.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/rtacconi