[LRUG] Looking for recommendations for a tester on a Rails project

Najaf Ali ali at happybearsoftware.com
Wed Oct 31 00:51:24 PDT 2012

Hi Chris + Ronny,

Just another data point, but I've had a somewhat different experience to
Ronny working with dedicated QA. At the one company where this was done we
had one dedicated tester per every five or six developers. They had two
basic functions for a given user story:

1. Make sure that developers had implemented the acceptance criteria.
2. Break the shit out of everything.

While we really should be doing the 1 ourselves (or preferably automating
it), having staff whose sole purpose is to break your web app in new and
creative ways made a big difference to the quality of the finished
software. Examples might be:

* If I get to the order confirmation screen, then edit my order in a new
tab, then switch to the US store and complete my order, should I be paying
in GBP?
* Localization in Simplified Chinese breaks the design on the FAQ page.
* If my address_line_1 is <script>alert('gimme da cookies!');</script> then
the code runs on the order confirmation page.

These are typically scenarios that your automated acceptance tests won't
pick up.

They were also responsible for regression testing the most important flows
though for the most part they automated this.

Note that this is a different thing entirely to UX testing, which is for
finding out "what to build/change" rather than "how what I've already built
is hilariously broken".

Afraid I don't have any recommendations, hope this helps!

-Ali