[LRUG] Looking for recommendations for a tester on a Rails project

James Riley james at codansa.com
Wed Oct 31 04:39:51 PDT 2012

You raise some great points Graham, particularly that developers are bad at testing their own code. I've found this is particularly a problem when the application is one where the developers don't make regular use of it themselves. This can be either because what the business offers is not a service they'd personally use or because it's part of a backend application used by other departments of the company, such as the CMS for managing products.

When working with testers/QA in the past, I've found it to be of great help and rather than make me lazy, have me working harder to pass on stable code to testers, knowing that I'm wanting to get code live and not delay the process. You want to 'put the ball in their court' with as few issues as possible, which also frees up their time to dig into the deeper, darker corners of the app and unearth issues that'd otherwise be overlooked.

Interestingly, the testers I do know, do not enjoy the role and are looking to becoming full-time programmers so I'm unable to recommend any but would suggest it may be worth considering hiring a developer who's duties would include finding and fixing bugs. You'd get the benefits of having a second pair of eyes, a technically literate tester and the added bonus of the individual being able to fix the issues they find. You'd then simply hire another developer to test this new employees code, who could provide the same benefits, but then you'd need to hire ano… may need to rethink this approach, hah

James Riley
@mrjamesriley | SupaDupa.me