[LRUG] Not for profit organizations using Ruby

Alvaro Perez alvaro.pmartinez at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 03:43:58 PDT 2012

I entered the Ruby world in 2007 at The Sainsbury Laboratory, placed by the
John Innes Centre, both non-profit as far as I know (at least the Sainsbury
Lab was at that time). They are close to Cambridgeshire (in Norwich) and
they perform research in plant related projects, including some (plant)
genome research. In my specific project, they were processing DNA sequences
of the Chlamydomonas algae and we built the front end and engine to manage
that data in RoR.

I'm not sure whether they have continued using Ruby because, as you have
already mentioned, the bioinformatics world is heavily dominated by Perl
and especially Bioperl, for which as far as I know there is no replacement
in any Ruby framework. I guess you'll need to find non-profits outside the
bioresearch world.

Regards,
Álvaro.