[LRUG] Deployment approach to rolling out huge changes

Ed James (Alt) ed.james.spam at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 01:04:41 PDT 2012

This has been really useful, so thanks to all. Based on the recent replies, it's reassuring to know that we are already doing some of the things people have suggested:

- feature flagging: we already do this with the ability to flag users as both alpha/beta testers, allowing early access to incomplete features. This works very well for us, but is generally for smaller features and enhancements, or brand new features.

- continuous deployment: as mentioned in a previous reply, we deploy to production every day Mon-Thurs, sometimes several times in a single day. For this particular feature, our database schema is already well ahead of the code, with no destructive changes having been made (e.g. column deletion). So our database is basically prepped and ready for the new feature. The schema changes are thankfully the easy part. Data and code changes less-so.

Unfortunately the feature in question involves a fundamental change to our system, one which affects almost every part of the codebase in that it changes a key relationship between our models. Because it also changes the way we charge users it's not something that can be easily "phased in" to our production environment (we are not changing our prices, but rather how we allocate the charges).

Anyway, I think there is a wealth of information in this post already, so I will be sure to reply with details of the approach we decide to take once we've rolled out.

Thanks again all!

--
Ed James (Spam)