[LRUG] Multi-threading, Ruby & Rails

Steven Deobald steven at c42.in
Tue Sep 18 03:49:21 PDT 2012

> I've discovered that JRuby has a potentially better internal
implementation of Thread,
> but I've not had a chance to play with it in anger yet - is it worth it?

Absolutely, without a doubt. We replaced a collection of heavily
multi-threaded services (previously written in C#) with JRuby at my last
job. I was honestly shocked how cleanly everything worked -- and if we ever
had an issue, the JRuby authors provide better service in the #jruby irc
channel than I've ever had from a commercial service contract. The only
issue we really ran into was with C libraries wrapped in Java libraries
which we then wrapped in JRuby. And that was never actually JRuby's fault.

> c) Multi-thread it, and at least on a single server be able to get 8x-16x
performance
> increase over multiple cores

Be careful about your expectations regarding multi-threading. While we
found a marked performance improvement over our single-threaded solutions
for anything we parallelized, we did not get an 8x performance boost from
spinning up 8 parallel threads on an 8-core machine (or even a 16-core
machine). The OS, other processes, your main (and other) threads, and
context switching will all take a toll. As with any other performance
improvements: careful, repeated measurements are your best friend.

Steven Deobald
C42 -- www.c42.in -- www.rubymonk.com