[LRUG] Jumping ship to ruby

Riccardo Tacconi rtacconi at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 08:08:33 PDT 2012

Hi,

Many people moved from Java to Ruby, so it should not be a problem. For a
Java, C/C++ developer (well for any Ruby developer) is crucial to read
about duck typing and how code correctness is enforced (tests/specs).

Other LRugers advised me to participate in some open source projects to
gain more experience and I think it was and still is a very good advice.

I have found 'Eloquent Ruby' by Russ Olsen very helpful.

Cheers,

Riccardo

On 1 September 2012 16:25, dubflower <dubflower at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all
> I've been a software developer for a few years now, picked up and master
> OOP and DDD, worked with model-view-controller frameworks and know more
> than a thing or two about web development.
> I've been recently picking up ruby at home and am really impressed with
> the language and the echo system. I was wondering what people think of the
> possibility for a developer like me, with experience with statically typed
> languages, to become a ruby developer? How realistic can this move be?
> Would appreciate any response!
>
> regards
> d.f.

Riccardo Tacconi
Ruby on Rails and PHP development - System Administration
VIRTUELOGIC LIMITED

http://github.com/rtacconi
http://riccardotacconi.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/rtacconi