[LRUG] Not for profit organizations using Ruby

Riccardo Tacconi rtacconi at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 04:39:04 PDT 2012

Hi,

PRI (Permaculture Research Institute) used Ruby for
http://permacultureglobal.com/. I think Rails provided a good framework to
create a web app. Other sites of PRI use WordPress, but mainly as a blog. I
managed to find a person to help with the development in change of
references and experience. My experience with no-profits is that they tend
to save money but using cheap and common tools such as WP, PHP forums,
shared hosting but the quality is usually far from decent. Rails helped to
provide a good web app in a decent amount of time.

Riiccardo

On 3 September 2012 13:15, Murray Steele <murray.steele at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm pretty sure some parts of the Open Street Map stack are written in
> Rails.  I don't know which parts, nor if it's actually legally a
> not-for-profit or not.  Harry Wood or Shaun McDonald can probably clear it
> up though.
>

> On 3 September 2012 11:43, Alvaro Perez <alvaro.pmartinez at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I entered the Ruby world in 2007 at The Sainsbury Laboratory, placed by
>> the John Innes Centre, both non-profit as far as I know (at least the
>> Sainsbury Lab was at that time). They are close to Cambridgeshire (in
>> Norwich) and they perform research in plant related projects, including
>> some (plant) genome research. In my specific project, they were processing
>> DNA sequences of the Chlamydomonas algae and we built the front end and
>> engine to manage that data in RoR.
>>
>> I'm not sure whether they have continued using Ruby because, as you have
>> already mentioned, the bioinformatics world is heavily dominated by Perl
>> and especially Bioperl, for which as far as I know there is no replacement
>> in any Ruby framework. I guess you'll need to find non-profits outside the
>> bioresearch world.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Álvaro.

Riccardo Tacconi
Ruby on Rails and PHP development - System Administration
VIRTUELOGIC LIMITED

http://github.com/rtacconi
http://riccardotacconi.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/rtacconi