[LRUG] Not for profit organizations using Ruby

Tom Morris tom at tommorris.org
Sun Sep 2 00:51:40 PDT 2012

On Sunday, 2 September 2012 at 02:57, Ronny Ager-Wick wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, why do you ask?
> Please don't find this offensive (geeks wouldn't, but I don't know if you're a geek or not), I mean well. It's just that I find it hard to see the need for such information, and also, I think you'll have a hard time getting it, as I doubt many of the non-profits using Ruby are part of LRUG, or even know they're using Ruby.
> If you're thinking of using Ruby for a project, but want to make sure other non-profits are also using it, then first of all, why is this relevant?

Non-profits often (not always) pay less than organisations in the private or public sector, meaning recruiting people can often be harder. Recruitment can be hard (been there, done that) - the same reason any organisation can be sceptical about a new programming language or tool.

Incidentally, if any of you are looking for a PHP/MySQL gig at a London-based non-profit that pays about £10,000 less than one could get doing similar commercial work… hit me up. I know, attractive proposition, right? ;-)

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>