[LRUG] Not for profit organizations using Ruby

Tom Morris tom at tommorris.org
Mon Sep 3 05:26:39 PDT 2012

On Monday, 3 September 2012 at 12:15, Murray Steele wrote:
> I'm pretty sure some parts of the Open Street Map stack are written in Rails. I don't know which parts, nor if it's actually legally a not-for-profit or not. Harry Wood or Shaun McDonald can probably clear it up though.

The web front-end is all written in Rails - see https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website

See https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Rails_port for instructions on how to download it and set it up.

OSM more generally has bits written in all sorts of stuff. The editing interfaces are in Flash (Potlatch2) and Java (JOSM). Quite a lot of the tools are written in Java (Osmosis, for instance, is a command line tool OSMers use for slicing up maps) and there's also Android stuff, Windows stuff etc. The actual tile rendering side of OpenStreetMap tends to be C/C++ for speed. See https://github.com/openstreetmap

The OSM Foundation's legal status is that it's a limited company in the UK but not a registered charity. See http://www.osmfoundation.org/

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>