[LRUG] That recruiter rant

Olly Headey olly at freeagent.com
Mon Sep 17 15:51:10 PDT 2012

Paul Robinson, that was an epic, excellent post that sums up my feelings
exactly. I've been recruiting pretty much non-stop since 2010 and
recruiters, whilst constantly on my case, have been very ineffective
(that's being polite). Word of mouth, talking to people, networking with
developers, making an interesting product and having a nice workplace is
what seems to work in this climate. For start-up/product companies at least
- it's different in the enterprise world/City where they hire 'resources'.

I've hired nearly 20 Ruby devs over the years and only one has come via a
recruiter. And this was a graduate hire from a recruitment firm I
specifically called up because I met one of them at a proper geek night.
All speculative recruiter calls/emails have come to nothing and I dare say
always will because they just don't get it.

Cheers
Olly