[LRUG] TDD when removing functionality

Paul Battley pbattley at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 03:46:58 PDT 2012

On 19 September 2012 10:45, Ian Kynnersley <iankynnersley at gmail.com> wrote:
> Or should I just delete the code, delete the tests, make
> sure the remaining tests don't fail and stop worrying about it?

This, I think. I don't see the value in testing the absence of
behaviour in most cases - about the only situation I can readily
imagine is where it's to fulfil a contractual, legal, or regulatory
requirement. I don't think a test suite needs to capture the history
of development, just the current set of operational parameters.

I might do it the other way around, though: delete tests covering the
functionality, delete the code that satisfies them, then tidy up any
other breakages caused by unwanted side-effects.

Paul.