[LRUG] Hackathon - Invitation

Tom Blomfield tom at gocardless.com
Thu Sep 20 06:02:36 PDT 2012

Hi elrug,

GoCardless has an internal hackathon this weekend and wondered if others
were keen to join in? Details below! RSVP to me.

Tom

_____________

A few guys at GoCardless have been working on a computer-vision project to
use a webcam to track the position of pool balls on our office pool table.
We're planning to tinker with it this weekend, and wanted to see if anyone
else was interesting in joining in.

The web-cam data is interpreted to produce x-y coordinates of each ball,
which are then fed into a model of a pool game. This, in turn, outputs info
(the score, foul shots etc) to a front-end display of the game. We've got
the basics sort of working, but there's a lot more fun stuff to do
(depending, I suppose, on your definition of "fun").

We're starting this Saturday at 11am in the GoCardless office (22-25
Finsbury Square EC2A1DX). If you're interested, but it's too short-notice,
please let me know - we'll be doing similar things in future.

We'll be working on stuff like:

- computer vision in C/C++
- object collision detection & pool-game modelling in ruby
- server-client data sync using some Web Sockets & javascript
- Front-end design work to make all this stuff look awesome.

For a sneak-preview of the existing computer-vision stuff, check out
http://youtu.be/T3JKVhsn7a8 . This was captured using a cheap
consumer-grade webcam. We've just upgraded to a camera that 120FPS and are
waiting to try it out.