[LRUG] Vagrant, Puppet and Linode

Paul Doerwald paul at liquidmedia.ca
Mon Apr 22 06:39:04 PDT 2013

Hola El Rug,

I noticed someone mention puppet in a recent message and it occurred to me that I could ask the LRUG list for advice.

I am new to Vagrant and Puppet. I have a brute force but effective script that can create a dev environment very nicely. I would like to use the same script (or more accurately, a variation of it, because right now the script is a bit stupid) to deploy the staging and production versions of the application on a Linode computer.

A bit more context on my problem:

• The application will never grow bigger than a single computer, so auto-deployment/build (basically the big win that Puppet and Chef bring you) are not important. Repeatability of deploy is the big value.
• I don't mind a manual process (i.e. running an executable on the deployment server whenever I update the Puppet script).
• Ordinarily this kind of investment for a single application isn't worthwhile, but most of my work (all client work) fits the same profile (more or less) and so I do intend to leverage this investment in making repeatable deploys for all my other clients, present and future.
• My Puppet config (and Vagrant, for that matter) is in a Github repo, separate from the application.

Does anyone have experience going from Vagrant/Puppet to Linode(or any VPS)/Puppet, particularly for a single-server environment?

If not, does anyone with Puppet experience have any advice for how I might tackle the Linode portion of the problem?

I'm looking for a conceptual orientation to how I should solve the problem. I'm sure I can figure out the details. All the advice on the Internet is in the context of a multi-server setup, and it's never coming from a Vagrant perspective.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Paul.

--
Paul Doerwald