[LRUG] Finding out why server was unresponsive

Richard Taylor richard at richt.co.uk
Tue Apr 16 03:23:41 PDT 2013

Another sneaky one is running out of inodes.  I've had this a couple of times when I haven't been cleaning up rails releases often enough.  It behaves the same way as running out of disk space but your disk space indicator shows there's nothing wrong.

df -ih is your friend here:

~$ df -ih
Filesystem     Inodes IUsed IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/xvda        5.8M  102K  5.7M    2% /

--
Richard Taylor