[LRUG] [JOBS] - Ruby Programmer Wanted FT/PT to join funded startup as lead tech/ CTO (urgent)

Duncan Stuart dgmstuart at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 09:31:33 PDT 2013

I studied Maths and CompSci at Oxford about 10 years ago - gave me a great
grounding in certain principles but IN NO WAY prepared me to be a developer
in the real world (nor was it really supposed to). I left uni as an
idealist without having written a line of code in any language actually
used outside academia. Any pragmatism/process/good programming practice
which I've learned has all been on the job. Oxford grads can make great
*analysts* out of the box, but if you want one to be a lead tech you'd
better be sure that they were accomplished programmers before they started
their course, or be prepared to spend a good few years moulding them into a
real-world dev.

Caveat: maybe everything has changed since my day.