[LRUG] [JOBS] - Ruby Programmer Wanted FT/PT to join funded startup as lead tech/ CTO (urgent)

Najaf Ali ali at happybearsoftware.com
Thu Apr 18 01:36:17 PDT 2013

I agree with all that's being said in this thread but lets play devils
advocate for a second.

The email is addressed to "Techies" which I hope is being used simply to
refer to a group that the writer feels he's not a member of.

For someone who doesn't quite understand what it is we do (which lets face
it, is a lot of people) its probably extremely hard to tell the difference
in quality between one "Techie" and another. A quick, coarse-grained
shorthand is to look at university prestige. That way, worst case scenario,
you get someone who worked hard and could string a sentence together at
*some point* in their lives. This I'm afraid can be a lot to ask of the
sorts of people who apply to jobs as developers.

If I had put a job advert out for a chef for a nice restaurant, I wouldn't
be above asking for a cordon bleu qualification. If I had sent that job
spec out to the London Gourmet Chefs mailing list, no doubt they would have
all chimed in about how qualifications mean nothing and the best chefs
taught themselves to cook etc. etc. But as a person who can barely cook an
omelette*, and knows nothing about food hygiene, managing a kitchen,
sourcing ingredients or how to make a face-melting hollandaise, what else
am I supposed to do?

Less charitably, it could be that the goal of having an Oxbridge grad on
the team is to make the company more attractive to investors. In that case,
the eventual hires technical ability is irrelevant.

* I'm lying for effect here, my omelettes are fucking magnificent.

Ali, http://happybearsoftware.com