[LRUG] Vagrant, Puppet and Linode

Gareth Humphries gareth1 at erozen.org
Wed Apr 24 16:54:44 PDT 2013

Greetings!

Yes, I still lurk here - despite being neither in London nor a Ruby User
(or a Group, for that matter) - as there are plenty of non-ruby discussions
I can learn from.

I normally keep quiet, but couldn't bite my tongue on this one; it sounds
like you were running your master using webrick, which is what it uses by
default as a webserver, and suitable for testing purposes or running, say,
40-50 nodes.  Use apache + passenger instead to get all the same benefits
you would get when running rails out of passenger instead of instantiating
a new ruby for each request (I believe i did this at a former workplace of
ours, and got a 200x performance improvement).

>From memory, it was 'sudo apt-get install puppet-master-passenger', and
editing a yaml file or two.  I'll check my puppet::master manifest and let
you know.

If you still hit scaling issues, you can put multiple masters behind a load
balancer just fine, and scale up that way.  In fact, that's a good idea for
the reasons you all already know anyway...

On the speed front, well, puppet client IS slow, but there's no need for
the master to be holding you back.  Version 3 is big improvement too - 40%
- 60% faster, and nicenesses like hiera included in base and sensible
scoping etc.

G2

PS - Stick with cron (minute => fqdn_rand(60) ) & 'puppet agent
--onetime'.  Agent as a daemon eats too many rams.