[LRUG] Vagrant, Puppet and Linode

John Arundel john at bitfieldconsulting.com
Thu Apr 25 05:32:08 PDT 2013

On 24 Apr 2013, at 20:05, chat-request at lists.lrug.org wrote:
> From: Gareth Humphries <gareth1 at erozen.org>
>
> If you have more than a few servers, please use a puppet master - less
> resource drain on hosts, faster rollout of changes, and you gain exported
> resources which open all sorts of doors you never knew existed. I run a 200
> and something node domain off a master with 2x2Ghz 4Gb, and it's not
> taxed.  It's worth it.

In fact, you can use exported resources (eg for auto-generating Nagios configs) without a Puppetmaster. You just need a database server.

There are arguments for using a Puppetmaster, and I cover some of them in the Puppet Beginner's Guide, but it's definitely not a requirement. The masterless setup that I describe in that book is in some ways preferable, and it's used in some quite substantial deployments (many hundreds of nodes).

Regards,
John
--
Bitfield Consulting: we make software that makes things work
http://bitfieldconsulting.com/