[LRUG] Finding out why server was unresponsive

David Burrows david at designsuperbuild.com
Tue Apr 16 03:28:28 PDT 2013

I run pretty much the same setup as you, Hetzner servers running both 12.04
LTS and some old 10.04 LTS and have had the same problem, usually about
once per server per year - seized server, nothing in the logs, no core
dump, plenty of disk space and no evidence of an issue at all on New Relic.

After quite a bit of investigation I just marked it down to a cost of doing
business on Hetzner - from the cost I would think they're just using
consumer grade hardware that's going to fail from time to time. As the ops
people say 'everything fails' so best to get rid of your single points of
failure anyway.

--
David Burrows
079 1234 2125