[LRUG] [JOBS] - Ruby Programmer Wanted FT/PT to join funded startup as lead tech/ CTO (urgent)

Paul Robinson paul at 32moves.com
Thu Apr 18 01:13:25 PDT 2013

On 17 Apr 2013, at 17:28, Alex Heeton <alex at heeton.me> wrote:

> I can also say that of all the developers, CTOs and computer scientists I know, degrees or where they got them has little relevance to their skills.

By my final year at UMIST I was already working almost full-time, and so my degree was pretty shocking: I didn't put enough time in to my final year project, because I was off building real-World applications.

I don't think I'm alone in that, there were a few of us who were off making decent money after second year who were still officially enrolled back in the late 1990s/early 2000s when the boom was still bouncing along.

IME interviewing people, degrees are mediocre indicators of talent/skill level at best: there are much better ways of assessing somebody's potential than which University they went to and what grade they got working on made up problems set by academics who have mostly never worked in a commercial setting.