[LRUG] Today's monthly meeting and paper_trail

James McCarthy james2mccarthy at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 09:50:50 PDT 2013

I've used PaperTrail in the past. It's very easy to get going. It does what it says on the tin and pretty well. Ryan Bates has a Railscast  and ASCIIcast for it.  My only reservation is that it very much a swiss army knife and I personally lean towards more minimal tools where possible.

I would be inclined to first ask yourself what your goal is. If you just need to produce an audit trail you may not need all the versioning and ability to undo etc. I would think about performance and database load if you are building something that will have a heavy load or is it going to be more of a boutique app where you can think about performance later.

James