[LRUG] Anyone know who's in charge of testing the website for Natwest Online?

Stephen Masters stephen.masters at me.com
Mon Aug 19 03:29:06 PDT 2013

As with any of the large bank web sites, there is definitely not a single person responsible for QA of the entire portfolio. Nominally there may be someone, but they are at a level of management where they just rely on other managers telling them that QA of their particular chunk has been completed. The volume of changes going live every week is huge, and it would just not be feasible to expect one person to be responsible.

Re developers, it's safe to say that just about all the LTSB Retail development is off-shored to India. The rest is done by IBM, Deloitte, et al. There's very little in-house dev. Something such as an account registration form may well have been built as a separate application, by a small web shop, and may not be connected to any internal systems. That kind of deployment is much cheaper and quicker than something which will connect to various internal services, and must therefore be thoroughly bulletproofed.

It's worth noting however, that I did hear that they recently (past year or 2) started trying out things like open source software, and agile development. I think that team is still pretty small, but it should be a step in the right direction.

Steve