[LRUG] Large Slow Test Suites

Mr Jaba the.jaba at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 14:20:06 PST 2013

Hi Everyone,

I've recently taken ownership of a new project with a large test suite
(2000ish tests), and the overall run time is around 30 minutes which is
certainly less than ideal!

Now I know the general approach to "Fast Rails Tests" but taking the time
to refactor the whole test suite is a bit too much right now. I'm wondering
if anyone has experience of transforming a test suite of this magnitude to
something a bit speedier? If so how did you go about it? What tips, tricks
and techniques can you share?

A bit more info:

- Test::Unit tests, moving to Minitest
- Rails 3.2.16
- Running parallel_tests shaved 5 mins off the time
- Using Spring to reduce Rails load time.

Any advice gratefully received!

Tom