[LRUG] [JOBS] 2-3 month contract with BBC R&D

Matt Haynes matt.haynes at bbc.co.uk
Thu Dec 12 04:19:25 PST 2013

Hello LRUG,

BBC R&D Internet Research and Future Services team are looking for a
Ruby contractor to fulfill a 2 - 3 month piece of work on our internal
programmes search engine.

The application is quite mature and uses a combination of ActiveRecord
for warehousing data, Resque to ingest data offline and Solr to expose
it in a search engine. We use this application to power our frontend
apps and also as the backbone of some of our research.

The specific task is to migrate some of our metadata ingest code to use
the new BBC Nitro API - which is the service that powers sites such as
iPlayer.

Our department is now based in Euston where we share an office with the
UCL Computer Science department. It offers a quite unique working
environment and there is always some very interesting things being
discussed and demonstrated. We hope that you'd be keen to work on site
with us, but we could have some flexibility around this.

Ideally we are looking for somebody with 3+ years experience with
availability from January. A knowledge of BBC systems and programme
information is not essential but obviously any experience working here
will be very useful.

If you're interested please email over your details and cv to me, or if
you'd like to just know more about the work I'm happy to have chat.

Many thanks!

Matt Haynes

<matt.haynes at bbc.co.uk>