[LRUG] Best Payments solution for Rails app?

Gabe da Silveira gabe at websaviour.com
Mon Feb 4 04:54:21 PST 2013

If you're not selling a physical product absolutely do not use PayPal.
 Braintree is good and can work with many different currencies although you
will require merchant accounts in said currency.  Of course Stripe is the
best if you can limit yourself to the US/Canada for now.  The rumor is UK
is in development or at least on their radar.

If you go with Braintree or Stripe then you could avoid the overhead of
ActiveMerchant which ends up being sort of a lowest-commond-denominator
solution.  The idea is that it abstracts the payment details so you can
switch gateways easily, but in practice the surface area of the payment
processing interface isn't that big anyway, and if you design your
application correctly than I think the precision and clarify of using a
specific payment systems library outweighs the small benefit of
ActiveMerchant's abstraction.  That is assuming the libraries are
well-maintained, which Braintree's and Stripe's are.

-gabe