[LRUG] Best way to generate a PDF

Jim Myhrberg contact at jimeh.me
Tue Feb 12 09:14:30 PST 2013

I haven't done much with PDFs, but for the little I have done I've used Prawn. It is a low-level library, but it's really quick and easy to wrap your head around it. I got a multi-page PDF with cutting margins for tickets each with unique serial numbers and a bunch of instructions done in 2 hours a few years ago.

As for your issue, it sounds like you need to commit a long piece of text/article to the PDF. The only problem I foresee is if the text is free-form, it could get tricky to figure out when a paragraph doesn't fit on current page and needs to move to the next. In which case a HTML to PDF converter might be a better choice, hopefully without too much headache from getting it to parse/render the HTML/CSS the way you want.

</my-two-cents>

-jimeh