[LRUG] Best way to generate a PDF

Andy Olliver andy.olliver at artirix.com
Tue Feb 12 08:36:09 PST 2013

Luke
Just seen your post re not using HTML - so wicked_pdf gem is not so good
for you.
Apache FOP (http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/)  works well to create PDF's
using the XSL-FO spec - this is java, but can be called from shell, so can
be used from a Rails app. Create XML for content data, and pass to
formatting engine with reference to appropriate templates.
One of the issues I've experienced with PDF creation is the issue of text
size, white-space, page-breaks etc.. It can be quite a challenge to come up
with a graphic design that flows, and can accommodate variable content
length while using a fixed page size. I've seen ways of adding conditional
formatting to PDF's using Adobe tools and embedded scripting in layout
templates, and then almost anything is possible..