[LRUG] Best way to generate a PDF

Max Williams toastkid.williams at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 09:31:25 PST 2013

I'd recommend still using Flying Saucer and doing it via html.  Adding page
numbers and headers is easy enough with rails, rendering the same partial
repeatedly with different page numbers or whatever.  Whichever system you
use you'll need to become familiar with the layout rules, and you're
probably familiar with html & css already, so why not use that?  You can
write your own html to a file and pass it to FS, or use
acts_as_flying_saucer which basically does this for you.  You can also use
your own custom ruby logic to decide whether to split up longer paras etc.