[LRUG] Best way to generate a PDF

Avik Sengupta avik at sengupta.net
Tue Feb 12 10:28:52 PST 2013

Hi,

I think the important question is, do you need to do complex but flexible
layouts? Ie, do you have multiple dynamic text bodies that need to flow
automatically. As opposed to having a fixed layout where you know the
absolute positions of all elements in your document, or have a single wall
of text flowing over multiple pages.

If you have to do flexible layouts, you are best off using FOP.  Use your
favourite templating engine to inject your data and create a xsl:fo
document, which you pass to FOP. To do professional quality documents with
complex layouts, nothing beats this methodology. Highly recommended.

Regards
-
Avik