[LRUG] Best way to generate a PDF

Luke Saunders luke at sketchconsulting.com
Tue Feb 12 07:06:08 PST 2013

Hi LRUG

Can anyone with recent experience in this recommend the best tool to use in
order to generate a PDF from a Ruby (Rails) app?

Said PDF will be an A4 document, with a title page, followed by 5-10
content pages each with a standard header / footer including page numbers.
Content pages consist of headings and paragraphs, along with some embedded
images.

I used prawn <https://github.com/prawnpdf/prawn> once to generate a
business card sized PDF and that was fine, but I'm wondering if perhaps a
markup, maybe like LaTeX would be wise to generate this kind of doc.

Keen to make the right choice and I think making the wrong choice could eat
a lot of time here.

Thanks!
Luke.