[LRUG] Best way to generate a PDF

Luke Saunders luke at sketchconsulting.com
Tue Feb 12 11:49:24 PST 2013

I will have flexible layouts. For example there might be an image aligned
on the right with text flowing around it on the left. And I won't be able
to manually figure out where the page breaks will go.

That said, from what everyone is saying about PDFKit (and I think Flying
Saucer) this will be fine. If repeating footers, dynamic page breaks etc
are not a problem with those tools, this is quite tempting as it will be
fast to develop and easy to test.

I did use XSL-FO with FOP some years ago (though had forgotten what it was
called until Andy and you mentioned it) and it was quite time consuming,
but it once built it was fast to produce the pdf and the results looked
great. There's a similar argument for LaTeX, but I think in this case that
will be harder to style.

My current thinking is to try PDFKit first and if that doesn't work out
move to either XSL-FO or LaTeX depending on how important the design is to
the client.

Thanks all. This thread is a goldmine - all are good options and suitable
for different use cases.