[LRUG] What will the post-Rails contraction be ?

Stephen Masters stephen.masters at me.com
Wed Feb 20 07:50:06 PST 2013

fyi - The OCaml thing may well be partly due to this white paper from the guys at Jane Street back in 2008, telling of how well suited it (and functional languages generally) was to their needs:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fjanestreet.com%2Fminsky_weeks-jfp_18.pdf

The years since then have seen a number of attempts by various banks to implement pricing systems based on Erlang, F#, etc. Not all of them successful...

And on the subject of unsuitable tech, the core system used by most online gaming (as in gambling) companies in the UK is built on Tcl. I'm not sure whether there might have been a really good reason for it initially, but these days they do rather well by recruiting graduates, who after a few years realise that nobody else is interested in hiring Tcl developers. So they either stay on a not-especially good salary, or take a pay cut to retrain in a new platform. Most stay. Sometimes suitability of the tech isn't the only reason it's in use… :)