[LRUG] [JOBS] JavaScript / Front-end developer at vzaar

Ed James (Alt) ed.james.spam at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 08:05:39 PST 2013

Hi all

I work at vzaar and we're looking for a good JavaScript / front-end developer who ideally has some Ruby knowledge too. We're looking to pay £40-50k and you will be based as our offices in Vauxhall, London. We're a small team working on a very cool product (video hosting platform). We are well funded and well-established (over 5 years and growing fast). If you're interested please apply at http://vzaar.com/jobs.

We will also be at LRUG on Monday 14 Jan, so feel free to say hi and I might buy you a drink.

Here's the full job spec:

JavaScript Developer

What is vzaar?

vzaar is a professional video hosting platform.

What's the job?

We are on the lookout for a JavaScript developer with 3+ years of experience building complex, interactive rich media experiences.

You will be working on-site in our london office as part of the video player development team.  We also have a dedicated design team, plus developers who work on our Ruby based platform.

Our video players are the most visible element of vzaar, seen by millions of people every year, and as HTML5 grows so does the importance of the JavaScript player.

We aim to offer our customers a tablet and mobile compatible player with a feature set almost identical to our flash based desktop alternative. This is a challenging and exciting goal, which will present many tough but also interesting problems to solve.

You will be the principal developer helping us achieve this goal by working on our JavaScript based HTML5 video player. Building upon and advancing our existing player, you will utilise the latest techniques and technologies to increase it’s feature set, expand it’s compatibility and maintain its status as a market leading player. In addition, you will look after the embedding system for both HTML5 and Flash players.

The ideal candidate would also have experience working with Ruby, allowing them to work on the player’s integration with our Ruby back end.

We are looking to pay £40 - 50k depending on experience.

We are a customer-focused team with a great product that's really fun to work on.

You must...

* have 3+ years experience in middle to heavyweight JavaScript development (we'll give you a homework assignment to help you demonstrate this)
* have solid experience in web technologies (HTML, CSS)
* enjoy working in a team
* have a strong command of English
* have a sense of humour

It would be great if you...

* have a university degree in computer science (or in other science)
* have experience in Ruby on Rails
* have some experience with SQL databases
* have experience delivering video using the HTML5 <video> object

What's important to us?

It's a technical role, so obviously you will need the required technical skills. However, it's just as important that you fit into our team. We are a small group and we are meticulous about getting people on board who we think will fit into our company culture and have a positive impact on the team as a whole.
How will we hire you?

You will be asked to complete a small JavaScript assignment for us so that we can look at your code. If we like what we see you will be invited for an interview in which we will talk about how you completed the task, code and technology in general, and you. We will also tell you about us. There will also be an on-site technical test so should you arrive for an interview, expect to be put through your paces.
Anything else?

We generally won't consider any candidates not already in the UK, preferably close to London. This is an on-site position and working remotely is not an option.

Ed James