[LRUG] [JOBS] Ruby Developer

Oliver Legg ollylegg at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 08:08:53 PDT 2013

Hey LRUG,

It must be that time of year! New Bamboo is also looking to hire Ruby Developers. We're looking for experienced Ruby Developers or experienced web developers looking to transition into Ruby.

What We’re Doing
We’re a London-based agile software development agency, and we’re looking for developers.

We build web applications using Ruby, JavaScript, HTML5, and whatever else is appropriate to the task.

We work across a wide range of domains and industries, from small startups to huge companies, and from charities to enterprise and national government.

We believe in finding smarter ways to work, and having fun while we do it. We maintain this through honest and open internal communication, versatile work patterns, hack days… and the odd trip to local restaurants and pubs.

What You’ll be Doing
Your time will be divided between building web applications for our clients and keeping your skills sharp.

When you’re building web apps, you’ll be working in a team of two or four, pair-programming when you feel the need. Projects generally last two to six months with team rotations, so you’ll regularly experience new domains and new technologies.

We built a lot of the tools we use internally, and you’ll also contribute to these – both as a developer and as a stakeholder.

On the learning side, you’ll have the chance to research and any technology you like. Hack days are a great opportunity to try new things – recently we made a real-time Twitter visualisation, a synchronised sound server, some JavaScript tools and hacked a Kinect to play pong!

We encourage our people to speak at conferences and we’ll support you to build up a reputation as an awesome speaker.

Must Have
 * Code: Can write Ruby, HTML, CSS proficiently.
 * Learning: Can get up to speed on new technologies quickly.
 * Collaboration: Can work as part of a technical team.
 * Communication: Can extract a clear set of requirements from a non-technical client through careful questioning.
 * Product Design: Can adapt requirements to something technically feasible and commercially successful.

Important
 * Code: Can write complex, structured JavaScript proficiently.
 * Scrum: Can write user stories, plan sprints, draw burndowns, and run demos.
 * Training: Can train others through blogging, mentoring, and presenting.

Nice to Have
 * Server: Can deploy to, and manage, a Linux box.
 * UX: Can create efficient user flows.
 * Visuals: Can create visual designs.

I'll be in the Slaughtered Lamb tonight (I'm not used to having to register early!) You can read more about the job here: http://new-bamboo.co.uk/jobs/developer and contact us at jobs at new-bamboo.co.uk. No recruiters please.

Thanks, Olly

--
Olly Legg
olly at new-bamboo.co.uk