[LRUG] Idempotency vs the cloud

Matthew Ford matt at bitzesty.com
Thu Jul 18 05:57:59 PDT 2013

Hi Tom,

The complexity of puppet or chef vs our older shell scripts was something
that for a long time bugged me. We made the switch to Chef after the reuse
of these scripts became an issue. With Chef we have our base cookbooks
which we then include into project specific cookbooks with
http://berkshelf.com/ so the project just defines the nodes, e.g two
frontend servers, and a mongo repl set for example. We also use chef solo
for deployments, which is a bit simpler.

With the integration of Chef and Vagrant, it also makes testing and
developing locally in a VM possible to, so I think the benefits will outway
the complexity in the long run.

Matthew Ford

Director of Bit Zesty

T: +44 (0)2071250160

disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify Bit Zesty
delete this e-mail from your system. Bit Zesty does not accept liability
for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as
a result of e-mail transmission. Opinions expressed in this email are those
of Matthew Ford, and do not necessarily reflect those of Bit Zesty.

Bit Zesty Ltd, a company incorporated in England with registered company
number 06883289.