[LRUG] [devops] enlarge root volume on existing ec2 instance

Frederick Cheung frederick.cheung at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 04:35:48 PDT 2013

On 19 Jul 2013, at 12:32, Viktor Trón <viktor.tron at gmail.com> wrote:

> slightly off topic, but encouraged by recent devops wisdom.
>
> We need to have bigger disk on an existing ec2 instance.
>
> One approach even reading about gives me headache
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/550790/growing-amazon-ebs-volume-sizes
> the accepted answer is from 2009 and lots of controversy.
>
> Another approach that might work is to turn off the instance (stop not terminate), create an AMI image from it then relaunch with a larger disk.

You can't change an EBS volume's size: you need to snapshot it and create a new volume from the snapshot. Once that's done you need to resize the filesystem. Whether that can be done on the root volume depends on the filesystem (i think recentish file systems like ext4 are fine). Eric Hammond has a walkthrough of this here: http://alestic.com/2010/02/ec2-resize-running-ebs-root

Fred