[LRUG] Rails 4 asset deployment woes

Adam Carlile adam at benchmedia.co.uk
Mon Jul 15 04:53:37 PDT 2013

I'm not sure as to why it's not minifying the assts, however the first issue is usually down to not using the built in url helpers for images and assets,

Instead of using standard CSS, you will probably have to switch the file to either scss, or sass, and then instead of:

body {
      background: url(/assets/cat-abc123def456.jpg);
    }

you should be able to do

body {
      background: image-url(cat.jpg)
    }

The syntax may be a little different, however that should ensure that rails compiles the assets with the fingerprints.

Adam

On 15 Jul 2013, at 12:45, James Coglan <jcoglan at gmail.com<mailto:jcoglan at gmail.com>>