[LRUG] I Love Ruby

James Coglan jcoglan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 01:14:01 PDT 2013

On 16 July 2013 08:27, Richard Green <richard at evvnt.com> wrote:

> **
> Ali - option 1 all the way.

I'm not going to get into what you meant here, since I've no way of
knowing. I can only speak to how you've presented yourself, so just take
this as a writing tip:

The reason this comes off so badly is that you've put 'female devs' in a
list of what are essentially job perks and means of compensation, which
presents them as a commodity. You may have meant well but the context gives
that line an objectifying tone, for both sexual and racial/nationality
reasons.

If it is indeed your intention to show off your diverse, welcoming team,
that sentence creates the exact opposite effect. It pays to be more verbose
and context-aware sometimes.