[LRUG] [META] Can we talk about Ruby? EOM

Daniel Lucraft dan at fluentradical.com
Wed Jul 17 02:24:50 PDT 2013

From Wikipedia (via Marc Pacheco):
In some languages, an empty source file is a fixed point of the language, producing no output. Such an empty program, submitted as "the world's smallest self reproducing program", once won the "worst abuse of the rules" prize in the International Obfuscated C Code Contest.[1]

On 17 Jul 2013, at 10:16, Murray Steele <murray.steele at gmail.com> wrote:

> Might it be one of those letter of the law, not spirit of the law things?
>

> On 17 July 2013 09:50, Chris Parsons <chris.p at rsons.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 09:08:55am +0100, Mark Burns wrote:
> Is an empty file a quine in ruby?
>
> Given that a quine is a program that prints it's own source code, then I would say only if an empty file is classed as a program.
>
> I guess that that would depend on whether the language defines whether an empty file is valid (it is Ruby, therefore an empty file is a quine.)
>
> Related: is the program the empty file itself, or the statements within it?
>

> Chris

Daniel Lucraft
@danlucraft