[LRUG] Idempotency vs the cloud

David Salgado david at digitalronin.com
Wed Jul 17 06:46:19 PDT 2013

I don't think they mean what you think they mean.

I visited Amazon in April, and specifically asked about setting up a mysql
slave outside of AWS, replicating from an RDS master. I was told it
couldn't (then) be done, but was their single most requested feature for
RDS.

The July announcement looks like it's worded to *suggest* you can do that,
without actually *saying* you can.

My gut feeling is that, if you could do that, they and the blogosphere
would have made a lot more noise about it.

But, I would be delighted to be proven wrong.

David