[LRUG] [JOBS] Full-time permanent Rails dev to join a team near the hallowed roundabout

Duncan Stuart dgmstuart at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 08:56:39 PDT 2013

Hi LRUG

I work for dxw <http://dxw.com/> and we are looking to hire a rails dev to
join our team working on a mixture of client projects (mostly central
government), internal tools, and products for the general public. (please
excuse the awful out-of-date website - it’s on our list...).

It’s a full-time permanent role in Old Street - up to £35k depending on
experience, which probably means someone a bit more junior. Details are
here: http://dxw.com/jobs/

Things you need to know about us:

   - We’ve got a nice airy office (wooden floors, lots of light
   blahblahblah)
   - There's a good atmosphere in the office - we have our own dialect and
   in-jokes. There's also quite a lot of good-natured swearing.
   - We use Git for everything. Because we're sane. We run our own git
   server, and deployments are via git-push
   - We make Pink Grapefruit soda with the office sodastream
   -

   Our espresso machine sounds like Inception:
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3f_8vCFOcM
   - We’re mostly Mac users (we’ll buy you one, or something else if you
   like - as long as it’s not running Windows...) and we all have either 3
   monitors or one huge one.

It’s a small agency (we just hired our 8th person) - a mix of dev and
client people, but our founder is a developer so it’s at the heart of
everything we do. Personally I’ve come from working in much larger
organisations and I really appreciate the lack of big-company bullshit* and
the satisfaction of doing good work with a team of really good people who
actually give a crap. The focus is always on common sense: we’ve got formal
processes where they’re useful, but never where simple good communication
will suffice.

While a lot of the client work we do is WordPress** (don’t worry- this role
won’t involve touching any icky php) we use Rails for:

   -

   Client projects which require more transactional functionality - nothing
   still live at the moment, but there’s a big project coming up which you’d
   be working on,
   -

   Internal tools (e.g. we couldn’t find anything decent to track details
   of our clients and their projects, so we built one ourselves),
   -

   We’re also branching out into creating products for the general public -
   with a focus on making dev's lives easier. The first one is Citrulu (
   http://citrulu.com/) which lets you write cucumber-style tests for live
   sites and get alerts when they go down.

We do have a few people who know their way around the framework (myself
included), but none of us are hardcore rubyists and we’re aware of the gaps
in our knowledge. TDD for example: we like the idea but haven’t really had
a proper stab at it. We're pretty much up-to-date with Rails 3 (asset
pipeline etc.) and always open to learning new/better ways of doing things.
We all love HAML, fight over SASS vs SCSS and are yet to be convinced by
Coffeescript.

We've been able to get by on small client projects and internal tools (i.e.
no deadlines), but now we're getting more client work which is requiring us
to beef up our Rails capabilities.

Check out our GitHub - https://github.com/dxw

We haven't been able to make many of our client projects open source, but
there's a slow movement in government to make more things open.

Twitter accounts:

@thedxw <https://twitter.com/thedxw>

@citrulu <https://twitter.com/citrulu>

@dxwsecurity <https://twitter.com/dxwsecurity>

@dgmstuart <https://twitter.com/dgmstuart> (me)

@harrym <https://twitter.com/harrym> (founder)

Please get in touch if you've got any questions

Cheers

Duncan

This is our actual bookshelf

This is a terrible photo of our office

This is another terrible photo of our office.

*Of course, there IS occasionally client-related bullshit, but you can't
fix everything.

** We're actually really not fans of PHP and only use it in a WordPress
context because the platform is so popular. Actually some of the WordPress
stuff the team have produced is designed to make it more Rails-y: Whippet
is a WordPress development console modelled after the Rails terminal (
https://github.com/dxw/whippet), and we've got a hosting platform in the
pipeline modelled after Heroku